Curriculum vitae Lennart Ljung
Born September 13, 1946 in Malmö, Sweden.
- Bachelor of Arts (Russian Language and Mathematics) 1967, Lund
University, Lund, Sweden.
- Master of Science (Engineering
Physics) (Civilingenjör, Teknisk Fysik) 1970, Lund Institute of
Technology, Lund, Sweden.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Automatic Control) (Tekn. Dr, Reglerteknik)
1974, Lund Institute of Technology,
- Doctor h.c. at the Baltic State Technical UniversityS:t
Petersburg, Russia, 1996
- Doctor of Philosophy h.c. (Fil. Dr. h.c.) Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden, 1998
- Doctor of Philosophy h.c., Universite de Technologie de Troyes,
UTT, France, 2004.
- Doctor of Philosophy h.c. (Eredoctor),
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 2004.
- Honorary Doctor, TKK, The Technical Univeristy of Helsinki,
Finland, April 2008.
Membership Professional and Academic Societies
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), ("For
Contributions to Adaptive Control and Recursive Identification".) since
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering
Sciences (IVA), since 1985.
- Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA), since 1995
- Honorary Member of the Hungarian Academy of Engineering Sciences, since
- Foreign Associate of the US National Academy of Engineering,
- 1979: The IEEE Control System Society Outstanding Paper Award for papers published in IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON
AUTOMATIC CONTROL 1977-1978.
- 1981: The AUTOMATICA Prize Paper Award for papers published in AUTOMATICA 1978-1980.
- 1993: The AUTOMATICA Prize Paper Award for papers published in AUTOMATICA 1990-1992.
- 1993: Appointed ``Advisor'' to the International Federation of Automatic Control.
- 1993: College of Electrical Engineers' Gold Plaque, The Institute of Engineers, Australia.
- 1996: The Chester Carlson Research Prize, awarded by the Royal
Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences.
- 2002: The Quazza Medal, awarded by the International Federation of Automatic Control (IFAC).
- 2003: The Hendryk W. Bode Lecture Prize, awarded by the IEEE Control Systems Society.
- 2007: The IEEE Control Systems award
- 1976 -: Professor of the Chair of Automatic Control,
Linköping Institute of Technology, Linköping, Sweden.
- 1975 -1976: Associate Professor (Docent) in Automatic
Control, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden.
- 1970 -1975: Teaching and Research Assistant in Automatic
Control, Lund Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden.
- 1968 -1970: Teaching Assistant in Mathematics, Lund
Institute of Technology, Lund, Sweden.
- 2006 - present: Director of the Strategic Research Center MOVIII,
funded by the SSF, the Swedish Foundation for Strategic Research.
- 1995 - 2006: Director of the NUTEK/VINNOVA Competence Center ISIS.
- 1981 - 1985, 1986 -1990: Chairman of the Department of
Electrical Engineering, Linköping Institute of Technology, Linköping,
- 1985 -1986: Visiting Scientist at the Laboratory for
Information and Decision Systems (LIDS) at MIT, Cambridge, Mass.
- 1980-1981: Visiting Professor at the Information Systems
Laboratory, Information of Electrical Engineering, Stanford
University, Stanford, CA.
- 1974-1975: Research Associate at the Information Systems
Laboratory, Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University,
- 1972: Visiting Scientist (Research Scholarship) at the
Laboratory for Adaptive Systems, Institute for Control Problems, Moscow,
Committees and Similar:
- 2000 - 2006: Member of Akademinämnden, the Board of the
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA)
- 2000 - 2006: Chairman of Class VIII (Engineering) of The
Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (KVA).
- 1998 - 2006: Member of the University Board, Linköping University
- 2001 - 2006: Member of the Board of The Swedish Research
- 2001 - 2004: Member of the Board of SUNET
- 1995-2001: Member and Vice Chairman of the Swedish Research
Council for Engineering Sciences (TFR).
- 1993-2001: Member of the Steering Committee for the Programme
for Complex Systems, at the Swedish National Board for Industrial and Technical
- 1994-1996:Member of the Working Group for Base Technologies
at the Foundation for Strategic Research (Stiftelsen för Strategisk
- 1993 - 2000: Member of the Mathematics Committe for the HCM
and TMR programs at the European Community, Brussels.
- 1989-1991: Chairman of Division II (Electrical Engineering)
of the Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences.
- 1989-1993Chairman of the reference committee on Information Technology for the
DUP-program, Swedish National Board for Technical Development.
- 1987-1993: Chairman of the steering committee for the
Programme on Digital Communication, The Swedish National Board for
Technical Development (STUs for Digital Kommunikation).
- 1978-1988: Associate Editor of STOCHASTICS, Gordon and
Breach Science Publishers
- 1980-1988: Associate Editor for SYSTEMS AND CONTROL
LETTERS, North Holland.
- 1983-present: Associate Editor for IMA JOURNAL OF
MATHEMATICAL CONTROL AND INFORMATION, Oxford University Press.
- 1983-1984: Guest Co-Editor for the Special Issue of
AUTOMATICA on Adaptive Control, September, 1984.
- 1984-present: Associate Editor for CONTROL - THEORY AND
ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Mita Press, Japan.
- 1982-1986: Subject Editor for ENCYCLOPEDIA OF SYSTEMS AND
CONTROL, Pergamon Press.
- 1988-present: Associate Editor for STOCHASTICS, Analysis
and Applications, Marcel Dekker.
- 1987-present: Associate Editor for INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF
ADAPTIVE CONTROL AND SIGNAL PROCESSING, John Wiley & Sons.
- 1990-present: Associate Editor for MATHEMATICS OF CONTROL,
SIGNALS AND SYSTEMS, Springer Verlag.
- 1992 - 1999Associate Editor at Large for IEEE Transactions
on Automatic Control.
- 2003-present: Associate Editor at Large for the European
Journal of Control.
- 1978 -1984: Member of IFAC's Technical Committee on
- 1981 - 1984:Member and Vice-Chairman of IFAC's Technical
Committee on Theory.
- 1984 - 1987: Chairman of IFAC's Technical Committee on
Theory and member of IFAC's Technical Board.
- 1987 - 1993: Chairman of IFAC's Technical Board and
Vice-President of IFAC.
- 1994 - 2001: Member of the Council of the European
Community Control Association (ECCA).
- 10 books
- About 150 articles in refereed international journals
- About 200 articles in international conferences
- A major software package: The System Identification Toolbox (for
use with MATLAB)
for more information.
Lennart Ljung, Dec 2006