ProfessorBackground: Fredrik Gustafsson is professor in Sensor Informatics at Department of Electrical Engineering, Linköping University, since 2005. He received the M.Sc. degree in electrical engineering 1988 and the Ph.D. degree in Automatic Control, 1992, both from Linköping University. During 1992-1999 he held various positions in automatic control, and 1999-2005 he was professor in Communication Systems.
Research interests: His research interests are in stochastic signal processing, adaptive filtering and change detection, with applications to communication, vehicular, airborne, audio and wildlife applications.
Editorships: He was an associate editor for IEEE Transactions of Signal Processing 2000-2006, Journal on Observations and Navigation 2008-2011, EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing 2009-2012 and IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems 2010-2012. He was head of the Signal and Systems review panel for the Swedish Research Council (VR) 2009, 2011 and 2012.
Fellowships: Distinguished Professor (rådsprofessor) awarded from the Swedish Research Council 2015-2024. IEEE Fellow (2011). Elected member of the Royal Academy of Engineering Sciences (IVA) 2007.
Arnberg prize 2004 from the Royal Swedish Academy of Science (KVA).
SAAB award in the name of former CEO Åke Svensson 2011.
Entrepreneurial researcher of the year at Linköping University, 2012.
Harry Rowe Mimno Best Paper Award 2011 for the tutorial "Particle Filter Theory and Practice with Positioning Applications", which was published in the IEEE AESS Magazine in July 2010.
Automatica Best Paper Award 2012 for the paper ``Smoothed state estimates under abrupt changes using sum-of-norms regularization'', co-authored with H. Ohlsson, L. Ljung and S. Boyd.
Supervision and publications: He has supervised 25 PhD, 25 licentiate and more than 200 master theses. He is the author of five books and over 200 conference papers, 1000 journal papers and some 25 patents. His current h-index is 47, see bibliometric statistics.
Filtering and Change Detection for the book with the same name
Matlab toolbox Signals and Systems Lab for the two text books Statistical Sensor Fusion and Signal Processing.
Android app Sensor Fusion at Google Play. (6000+ downloads).
Start-ups: He is co-founder and share holder of the following companies:
- NIRA Dynamics AB, developing automotive signal processing algorithms, in particular an indirect software-based Tire Pressure Monitoring System currently installed in 20+ million cars. The company was ranked number 2 among Swedish super companies by the Swedish Business Magazine Veckans Affärer 2015.
- Softube AB, developing software based simulation audio products, starting with guitar amplifiers and now have an almost complete studio portfolio. The company was listed as a Swedish super company by the Swedish Business Magazine Veckans Affärer 2015.
- SenionLab AB, developing personal indoor navigation solutions.
- Wildlife Security Initiator of an internal project to support Project Ngulia with innovative and cost-efficient technical solutions based on past, current and future research. Support from Vinnova in the project Smart Savannahs.
- Security Link Director of this center in the strategic area of Security and Crisis Management.
- eLLIIT One of ten main investigators of this center in the strategic area of Information and Communication Technology.
- CADICS Director and one of five applicants of this VR excellence center (2009-2018)
- LINK-SIC One of three applicants of this Vinnova industry excellence center (2009-2018)
- TRAX Applicant of this EU Marie Curie project (3 PhD students 2014-2016)
- Cooperative Localization PI of a SSF frame project in Software Intensive Systems (18 MSEK 2012-2017).
- Scalable Kalman filters Individual grant as Distinguished Professor from VR (50 MSEK 2015-2024).
Professor in Sensor Informatics
- +46 13 282706
- +46 70 6466565
- Dept. of Electrical Engineering
- Linköping University
- SE-581 83 Linköping
- Visiting Address:
- Campus Valla
- Building B
- Room 2A:506 (in the A corridor on the ground floor between entrance 25 and 27)
Page responsible: Fredrik Gustafsson
Last updated: 2015-12-11